Skip to main content

“Tying Small” With The Tiemco 531


The world of dry fly hooks can be a mind numbing experience when considering all the choices worldwide. There are a lot of considerations when it comes to the specific pattern and hook. The geometry of the dry fly hook and uniform scale relative to the pattern is what I always think about. If your testing patterns constantly like I do it can keep you up at night. I have gotten in some mind numbing conversations with guides (typically Canadian) and weekend warriors alike. Over the years I have found a common ground with my tying tastes and given fishing circumstances. I typically “tie small” which means that the patterns tend to be somewhat sparse, compact, and often deceptively small. The Tiemco 531 is the hook I use to tie deceptively small. The 531 is the most effective hook I have ever used, and I have used it for years. I would say seventy percent of my dry flies are dressed on a TMC 531.

The 531 is a fine black wire hook with a slight barb. It is a short shank hook with a wide gape and the bite/throat is deep. The bend is very uniform compared to a standard dry fly hook such as the TMC 101. The eye is smaller than its same sized counter part and bears a less drastic angle. The 531's front length tapers gently into a extremely sharp point as seen below. The first time I tied with one of these hooks it was love at first sight. The first time I fished with it I was a complete convert and am till this day. The only pitfall with this hook is it is somewhat fine and I have bent these while fighting large fish but have never straightened one completely so care must be taken fighting the girthy Browns and Rainbows.
I have always felt that the TMC 531 is a better hook for my patterns than the TMC 101. Hypothetically if there was only one hook I was allowed to use it would be the 531 hands down.
Tying small takes some practice meaning that the short shank is not an obstacle, it is simply a mindful consideration when getting proportions worked out especially on Mayfly duns. All of my adult Caddis patterns are tied on the TMC 531 and dry emergers on the TMC 212Y. Both of these hooks are somewhat difficult to get here in the USA but are easily found in the UK and CZ. Noticeably these hooks float very well with its given dressing. Hook ups are very positive in my experience not to mention the very slight barb allows you to remove it by flicking it with your index finger.
I hoard these hooks primarily because they are hard to find! If they were readily available here in the US I would be able to sleep better at night and I would be less inclined to strip old flies down and salvage the hook. I suppose time will only tell but I am not holding my breath.
~Clint Joseph Bova

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Water Caddis Emerger

 The Caddis emerger is a very important part of the trouts diet. During this life stage the Caddis is especially vulnerable to the elements and is easy prey thus making it very attractive to these very energy conscious fish. The insect is just about ready to break free of its nymphal shuck and the count down for its launch sequence begins with a few wiggles. I have always been looking for a great surface fly that mimics these little beauties. For a few years now I have gotten a lot of use of this little emerger pattern that tends to out fish most of my other emerger patterns even when there is no discernible hatch. This is a great pattern for super finicky Brown trout. I have fooled many fish with this pattern and with the right combination of materials it is a pattern that stays floating even in fast water for a long time. With the use of TMC's Aero Wing material (extended shuck) the fly is a great floater. The fibers are not only fine but hollow keeping the fly float

CB's Japanese Beetles

 above photo: Provided by Debbi T. Walker an Ohio Photographer.  Debbi is a talented outdoor photographer who loves to take pictures of insects, animals, and landscapes and often shoots photography around the Mad River and Cedar Bog. In the heat of the summer many fish hunker down during the day and will pass up the occasional Caddis, midge, or ant floating overhead. Often fish conserve energy for a larger more nourishing food item. During the summer months fish want to conserve energy and exert themselves only for the most significant meal.    This is called the “Pounds Per Meat Law” again the least amount of energy is expelled for the most nourishment possible. This should be the mid-summer mantra for both fishers and fish!  Large ants are another food item that fish will come off of the bottom for during the midday sun and heat. Japanese Beetles are one of those items on the surface menu that will spark a fishes interest when nothing else seems to work. Rise

Spidey Senses~The Irresistible Arachnid

Fishing spider patterns is a favorite activity of mine in the late spring, summer and fall. Many of the spring creeks that I frequent have adjacent fields of corn, soy, feed grass, as well as tall overhead trees and brambles. Spiders are prolific here and as much as I hate them I do love fishing with them. I have tried many patterns over the years most of which were not my own. Most of them were either too clunky, too overdressed, or just downright stupid looking. If I were to cast a wad of sheet foam and rubber bands to a big Brown on most of my usual digs I would be typecasted by most of the coherent fish instantly. After years of hit and miss I settled on my own pattern that just seemed to meet my criteria as well as the Trouts. When your standing in a “hot river” in the middle of the day and you spot a massive brown that just will not budge for the most ingenious morsel you have in your box whip out a spider. Spiders are protein intensive, they are like baklava on a silver