Bamboo Fly Rod Varnishes | The Alchemy
When you consider all the newer synthetic alkyds and urethanes on the market now, I shake my head primarily because, if we look back at historical archival restorations of Flemish and Italian oil paintings, there are time-proven flexible finishes. These finishes are combinations of amber-infused walnut and linseed oils. These mediums have lasted for centuries with incredible clarity and resilience against temperature, dirt, and grime. As a fine art educator and oil painter, I can confidently say that these amber-infused combinations produce the finest finishes on any bamboo fly rod.
If we look back in time, we have time-proven techniques that will outlast today's newest synthetic mediums and finishes. History has taken a lot of skinned knees and falls to get some of the oldest artifacts to last to the present day. Being mindful of centuries of experimentation is something I am very grateful for.
Clint Bova




