Aero Wing Indicator Ant
I started tying with Tiemco Aero Dry Wing fly yarn in the mid-1990s and have been using it ever since. One of the reasons I use it over any other synthetic yarn is that it is very forgiving to tie with and floats like nothing else. By forgiving, I mean that you can easily manipulate it to keep the bulk down or build it up uniformly, and because the fibers are extremely fine, you can actually wind it to build up very floatable bodies. The fibers are hollow and very buoyant. The material is superior for making indicator flies; the Aero Wing “Fine” is extremely wispy and collapses in the fish's mouth for better positive hook-up rates. So for a parachute fly, it's definitely an advantage. I would say I get a longer, more floatable fly with Aero Dry Wing when I integrate it into bodies, wings, and para posts. It is no longer available in the US market, but it can still be found on eBay or purchased directly from Japan. I have a few clients who will send it to me from Japan, but the stuff is a little spendier than it was over 25 years ago. On eBay, I've seen it sold for as much as $ 30.00 per card!
Above photo: The Kype K100BL Lite Dry Fly #16 is a great hook for this pattern, with a nice wide gape for positive hook-up rates, and an extra-long bent-in needle point makes it extremely trustworthy.
Above photo: We are using Aero Dry Wing from Tiemco marked “Fine” for our parachute post. These fibers are very wispy and incredibly buoyant.
Above photo: Use just enough Aero Wing to create a stable post using a GSP thread like UTC Ultra 70 , keeping everything nice and streamlined. This particular bright green color is one of my favorites for indicator fly patterns, especially for small black midges.
Above photo: We now add Aero Dry Wing (regular thickness) to the rear of the hook. This will create a wingcase-like cover for the abdomen that will keep the Kapok fibers from fraying and maintain a very tight profile, also adding significant flotation to the rear of the fly. Dubbing the abdomen with Kapok is our next order of business.
Above photo: Once the abdomen is built up with the desired amount of black Kapok, the black Aero Dry Wing fibers are pulled forward to create a sheath over the abdomen. The fibers are then pulled all the way up to the post, winding the thread tightly up the shank to create the waist of the ant, often referred to as the “petiole,” and the thorax is dubbed.
Above photo: Wind your black hackle around the post, apply a thin coat of glue to the top seam of the hackle collar, and whip-finish just below the hook eye, as in any standard parachute fly.

Above photo: This is a very simple terrestrial parachute, but what sets it apart is the simple addition of the Aero Wing filaments to both the abdomen and the parachute post. The Kapok is also incredibly buoyant, and I find that this parachute ant will float indefinitely with these materials.
~Aero Wing Indicator Ant~
Hook: Kype K100BL Lite Dry Fly #16
Thread: UTC Ultra 70 Black
Parachute Post: Aero Dry Wing “Fine” bright green
Dubbing: Black Kapok
Over sheath for abdomen: Tiemco Aero Dry Wing standard black
Thorax: Black kapok
Hackle: Black
This is an incredibly simple fly to tie, and with the addition of Tiemco's Aero Dry Wing filaments, you can get an ant to float in any type of water like a cork. This is how I tie most of my ant patterns, using hooks ranging from #14 to #18.
Thanks for letting me share
Clint Bova








