My Personal Bamboo Rod 22 plus years old

(Click any photos for magnification)

Today, a friend of mine from Washington State Direct Messaged me on Instagram and asked me to share a few pics of my most “sacred” personal rod that I use season after season. Well, I would have to say this particular rod truly is like picking up an old friend when I fish it, which is pretty much all the time. It is 22 years old and has thousands and thousands of hours on it.
 

The taper is based on a Jim Payne 97, 7' 4wt., and as many close friends know, I'm a big Payne fan. This little rod has double slide bands and a Koa wood flared butt with a nickel cap. I made this rod before I was married, back when I literally slept on top of my equipment; it has traveled with me just about everywhere, especially the Smoky Mountains, where it's done some brook trout time. It has traversed through West Virginia and Pennsylvania and has been up as far as Bangor, Maine. It is truly a rod I do not leave at home; it is always with me. It is also the rod I fish almost exclusively on the Mad River near my house in Urbana.





Above photo: I thought I would include this photo to show how a darker burled koa seat looks with a corniced butt cap; this particular rod also has personalized engravings on both slide bands, a special commemorative touch requested by the client.
Above photo: A smaller rod at 6'9" with a spalted maple reel seat.

I suppose there are certain artifacts and tools that really make a difference in one's life; my cane fly rod really keeps me inspired not only as a maker but as a curious and joyful fly fisher. There is so much reverie with such tools that stand the test of time. The rod holds a lifetime of joyful stories I often reflect on. It will be around a lot longer than I will. Hopefully whoever ends up with it will love it and fish it as hard as I have.

As of today, we are at 192k readers on “Shop Notes.” The blog has been running since 2007, and I get messages from all over the world, which makes it very interesting but also gives me content to write about based on readers' suggestions and requests. Thank you for all your support, and keep reading content; it's good for your brain.


Thanks for letting me share!
Clint Bova

 













 

POPULAR POSTS