Hooking Up with the Tiemco 206 BL & Hanak 360 BL

Above photo: Midge emerger on the Venerable TMC 206 BL #20.

I often get readers who ask very insightful questions. One of my readers from Norway asked me about two hooks: the Tiemco 206 BL and the Hanak 360 BL. This was based on one of my last entries on Caenis patterns and demystifying the “fisherman's curse.” In this entry, I showed a few versions of the fly on frames, such as the TMC 206 BL and the Hanak 360 BL. His question was as follows: 

“Which hook best suits the smaller caenis fly or small micropatterns, especially dry fly patterns, the TMC 206 BL or the Hanak 360 BL?”

Above photo: A visual comparison of two hooks, the TMC 206 BL and the Hanak 360 BL.

I think the first order of business is understanding the blank canvas first. This quasi-octopus-style hook is a “chameleon hook,” as I like to call them. It's a hook that works across multiple patterns for dry fly and nymph applications. It is a wonderful soft hackle hook! Being from Hawaii, I'm very familiar with its geometry, as it reminds me of the hooks I used to catch many different species of saltwater fish! Typically, I used a snell knot with a hook like this in my younger years. It's a hook that brings back memories of stalking bonefish and Papio on the flats in front of Niu Valley on Oahu, my birthplace. 


Both these hooks are very similar in geometry. Upon closer inspection, we see that the TMC 206 is a finer wire, slightly stretched out, and narrower in the gape, due to the less extreme downward slope at the rear of the hook compared to the Hanak 360. The TMC hook point taper is slightly longer and more refined, i.e the taper forms a point very gradually. The Hanak 360 is slightly heavier-gauge wire; the gape is more extreme, so the curve at the rear is steeper and more vertical. The hook point has a less graduated taper. After measuring with a micrometer, I found that the hook eye is canted slightly more in the upturned position on the Hanak. These are the basic differences. Now, for a normal person who does not give a crap about these subtleties, they have already moved on from this entry and started watching another viral YouTube video about creating the latest cornea-blistering Troll Doll candy ant on a hook. So bear with me, please. 

The basic merits for both these hooks are as follows: for a barbless hook, its hook-up ratios are extremely positive in my experience; it's probably one of the most reliable fish-holding barbless hooks out there in my own personal opinion. Its lightweight wires are exceptional for dry fly patterns; the 2x-short curved shank creates awesome silhouettes for the natural insects. This hook is a natural thorax-style dry-fly killer and can even be used for soft hackles. It is a stellar hook by any stretch of the imagination. Both hooks are great for dry fly micropatterns of all kinds. If you are going to draw the line in the sand between these two hooks, I honestly believe it's based on one factor: the size of the fish you're casting to. I would take the Hanak 360 over the TMC 206 only if the fish I was casting to was over 17" or bigger, primarily because I have straightened out TMC 206, 531, and 102Y's on large fish. On the other side of the coin, I prefer to fish the TMC 206 more often in general because of the lightweight, finer wire and, in my opinion, finer point.

There you have it! 

So for all you “hook heads,” bust out your micrometers and send me more questions!

We are now up to 190k readers and supporters! Reading real content is fun; my entries are generated solely by me, not by AI, and I thank you worldwide now for 26 years of your support! 

Thanks for letting me share!            ~Clint Bova

www.cjbovarods.com

POPULAR POSTS