Renzetti Master Vise milling a new low profile adjustment knob
Above photo: Before and after size of Renzetti adjustment knob
So after working on the Renzetti Master Vise for quite some time now, I finally decided to mill down the adjustment screw head on the jaws. Specifically, for the midge jaws. The straight knurled knob head actually encroaches into the fingernail cut quite a bit, just shy of the end of the tips. Truth be told, I purchased this vise for the jaw mechanism; the rest of the vise is great, but the jaws are really what make this vice so phenomenal. Hook holding is very positive without any fussing, and incremental adjustments are quick. Much of the green anodized finish is wearing off, but I like the weathered effect; honestly, the jaw could be attached to the end of a brick for all I care. The jaws are the main attraction. Mileage-wise, this vice already has thousands of hours put on it.
That little Jiminey Cricket in my peanut kept nagging me. I wanted a lower-profile knob so my fingers wouldn't hit or scrape the knob's edges. I was turning some bamboo rod hardware this morning, and the knob just kept tapping at my brain. My father was an MIT engineer, so it's in my gene code to fix my own design problems. The knob is so close to the business end of the jaw that I figured I would eliminate most of its bulk and taper the top surface. Using a small 8x16 benchtop lathe and an indexable carbide insert, I took down the diameter and thickness incrementally, then chamfered the top half. Now all I have to do is blue it and I'm good to go. Honestly, it would not take much for Renzetti to make this a low-profile accessory. The rest of their accessory line is superb.
Above photo: The final blued adjustment knob
Smaller diameter and smaller thickness make all the difference in
getting my hands around tiny patterns.
The above video gives you an idea of the difference in the knob profile; less material makes the adjustment knob less of an obstacle around the jaw tips. Use an indexable carbide insert, as shown in the above video. Now all I need to do is blue the aluminum with some Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black, and I'm good to go.
This proves to be a very easy task, so if you have a lathe of any size, preferably a small 7x14 or 8x16 benchtop lathe, you can solve this little issue I have with this oversized knob. I own three different-sized lathes, so just use your smallest one and a basic indexable carbide insert. Take your time and check your depths after every few cuts.
Thanks for letting me share~ Clint





